PARENTS TEACHERS MEETING
Importance and Benefits
Learning is a complex phenomenon. A child faces difficulties in learning. A child faces mental stress and several identified and unidentified challenges. Ramagya believes that holistic development of a child depends upon the hard work of student, parent, and teacher. These three stakeholders integrated effort give the best learning outcomes.
Parent teacher meeting covers the distance among these three pillars of a student’s life. PTM opens a communication channel where a parent is a partner. Active participation of a parent brings a massive change in kid’s academic performance.
Ramagya knows that it is necessary to share responsibility and accountability with parents for the holistic development of a child. A parent is directly responsible for a child’s progress at home and in the school. In fact, it is necessary to develop a strong bridge between parent and educator. Parent-teacher meeting is an opportunity to exchange observation of a child with each other. Sharing daily experience and observation provide a wider prospect for parent and teacher to plan, prepare and execute planning for better learning outcome of a child. Teachers discuss and share the overall personality of a child with the parents i.e. his/her behavior, manner, habit, attitude, learning styles, relation to self and society, etc. PTM is a junction to meet the needs of a child.
Why does Ramagya feel the necessity for conducting a parent teaching meeting?
1. Great opportunity for parent and teacher to develop a healthy and strong relationship for the holistic development of a child this platform helps parent and teacher to develop a rapport and build a strong relationship to understand and determine the need of a child. Developing an integrated child demands to combine efforts from different stakeholders.
2. Great opportunity to open two-way communication for the welfare of kid Two-way communication has great values for the proper development of a child. Parent, as well as teacher, share their effort on a common platform for the welfare of a child. Parent works at home on the feedback and observation shared by the teacher at school. Teacher modifies his way of handling the kids on school premises. The teacher keeps vigilant eyes on the mental and physical progress of a child. Parent and teacher follow each other after school hours also to ensure whether their effort is going on the right track or not.
3. Great platform for parent and teacher to share insights and information for the holistic development of a child Parent and teacher shares each other minute observation of a child i.e. how does a child behave with friends, his confidence level in the class, his self-esteem, self-awareness, decision making skill, interest in learning, special interest, hobbies, and classroom performance. A child is pure mud. Parent and teacher try to grow a lotus on different favourable and unfavourable circumstances. Teacher’s works on parent feedback at school and parent work on teacher feedback at home.
4. Great platform for an educator to know a child’s weakest and strongest areas from parent’s observation Parent and teacher identify weak areas and try hard to improve those points. It is not a platform to make it just a complaining against each other. Both stakeholders should not deviate from a child’s concern. Proper education of a child is our prime concern. Parent and teacher’s personality is just value zero. Out ego has no great value if we could not be a wise parent and teacher. Our prime concern is to shape a child into an integrated personality. PTM provides this big opportunity to work for the child.
How is PTM conducted at Ramagya
- Ramagya understands that today the parents go through a busy schedule and it is always feasible for them to be available on the weekends and hence the PTMs at Ramagya are held on Saturdays.
- The students are informed about the PTMs a week prior and are given a consent form to be signed by their parents that helps the teachers in ensuring the attendees. If the parents face any issues in coming on a particular date then they are given a day and time post the PTM to visit school and met the teacher to discuss the progress of their ward.
On the day of the PTM, parents meet the class teacher and the all the subject teachers for a detailed report of their ward that includes:
- Students’ punctuality, discipline, class behavior, co-curricular activities.
- The academic performance is shared in-depth.
- The areas of strength and improvement are shared with the parents
- Subject teachers provide a chasmic knowledge about the performance of the child in the subject.
Teachers also share the catechism that they’ll be using for the improvement of the students with the parents in order to maintain transparency. Thereafter, the class teacher gets the PTM registers signed and filled by the parents where the comments related to the child’s subject-wise progress, behavior and punctuality are written and the suggestions from the parents are requested.
- The parents are then guided to meet the Baal Saathee team for discussing the overall development of their child that concerns the mental and physical wellbeing of a child.
Not only academics and the emotional well being of a Ramagyan are taken care of but also the Sports activities are taken up with utmost seriousness. During the PTM, Sports coaches are always onboard for projecting knowledge on the sports fitness of a child:
- They enlighten the parents by telling about all the achievements of their ward in the sort of interest.
- They discuss upon the ways of improvement (if any) required at the child’s end.
- They also embrace any suggestion given by the parents for better practice of their ward.
The parents who fail to attend the PTMs due to unavoidable circumstances are called up and given a scheduled day and time to visit the school. On this day they undergo the same process of meeting the class teacher, subject teachers and the Baal Saathee team.
And, if because of any unavoidable circumstances, the parents fail to show up even after the second call, then the class teacher along with a baal saathee team member and a sports coach, is liable to visit the student’s house.
Ramagya takes up the PTMs very seriously, as we all know that holistic development of our young minds can only take place when there is a joint effort of the parents and teachers.